Sunday, July 18, 2010

Roasted Beets

Week Twelve, Monday

I'm going to skip days where I didn't cook much or didn't cook anything interesting.

As I said before, I had never cooked or eaten beets before. I was determined not to just let them sit there and go to waste. Earlier in the week, I looked up recipes in allrecipes.com for beets. Beets and cabbage only turned up recipes for borscht, which I did not want to try. I still had some fennel sitting in the fridge from a couple weeks back. I looked if there was a recipe for beets and fennel. Remarkably, there was and it didn't look too difficult.

The recipe called for honey Dijon salad dressing in the sauce, but since I had honey from Fair Shares, Dijon mustard from a previous recipe, and whatever other ingredients, I whisked those together myself rather than buying a separate salad dressing. I did have to buy apple cider vinegar.

I was careful with the beets. I wore plastic gloves so they wouldn't stain my hand, used a plastic cutting board. I peeled two of the beets and cut them up, along with the fennel and apple.

I was scared to eat it, but Roy tried it first and liked it. I think he liked it better than I did. Roy even liked the sauce on it, even though he normally hates mustard. The honey helped balance the flavor out. The apples cooked quicker than the veggies, and practically became apple sauce by the end. They soaked up the juice and color from the beets.



I wanted to serve this with something cooked simply, without a lot of competing flavors. I marinated chicken breasts in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper, and then I grilled them on my grill pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment